Friday, July 4, 2014

Product Review - Minimed 530G - Is That A New Pager?

It's been four years and it's time for an upgrade. I require new parts. I recently received the new Medtronic Minimed 530G insulin pump and the Medlink Enlight Constant Glucometer to go along with the pump. In theory, if these two devices work perfectly Medtronic is on it's way to creating the "artificial pancreas." This seems to be the popular choice as a way of better handling type 1 diabetes for most companies right now. I'm personally not thrilled about the artificial pancreas approach because it requires wearing many devices on your body and filling your pockets with pumps and meters. But, if the end result is better health and a safer lifestyle, I'm all for it.

My initial impressions of the new 530G are that it seems pretty similar to my older version of the same pump. The Medlink CGM is smaller and less obtrusive on my body than the Dexcom G4 CGM that I had been using previously (so I like that). The Medlink also directly links to the 530G allowing for one less thing in my pockets, which initially is a huge win. The 530G also comes with a new belt clip, which had broken off on my previous pump, allowing for more space in my pockets. It's odd, but so far my favorite thing about the new pump/system is there are no meters or pumps in my pockets. It's quite a powerful sensation actually.

The mechanical connecting of the pump to my body remains the same as the old version. Nothing new to learn or report there. But the connecting of the Medlink to my body is quite a process of layering adhesive tapes. After going through the many steps of taping the Medlink to my body, I do like how secure it feels. One problem I had with the Dexcom was that the sensor would fall off of my body after a few days. The Medlink isn't going anywhere. But, I believe the tape materials used on the Medlink are not good for my skin.

The 530G has a lot of new features built into the operation of the pump; multiple fail safe questions for the user. For instance, "Ready to fill cannula, is the pump currently attached?" And a new auto shutdown feature that I will get to in a minute. A lot of the questions focus around the Medlink CGM though. It appears to me the way Medtronic is attempting to create the Artificial Pancreas is through constant alerts and reminders to the user. Not an actual device that requires little to no maintenance by the user, like an actual pancreas. I do find that the constant questions and alerts better help regulate my sugar levels, but the pump is constantly beeping and alerting me to every little detail throughout my day. A lot of time, I already know the information the pump is alerting me to.

The sensor range on the Medlink CGM is very small. Often if the pump is on the opposite side of my body as the sensor, the pump reads as weak signal or lost signal. Sometimes you have to go through the calibration mode all over again just to reconnect the Medlink to the 530G even though they were only a foot apart.  The Medlink sensor also requires a lot of calibration on it's own. It seems to become uncalibrated quite quickly. I still have to check my blood sugar levels via a traditional meter at least 6-8 times a day, just to keep the Medlink in check. Also, when the sensor decides that it needs an update on it's own, the pump will not stop beeping until you input a blood sugar value. This is very annoying if by some reason the sensor decides that it needs to be updated every night in the middle of the night for the next 6 days (which is the duration you are supposed to wear the sensor for). So far I haven't made it a full 6 days on one sensor yet. Either it irritates my skin so much that I have to remove it or it beeps so much that it starts to drive me a little crazy.

Another new feature is the automatic suspend feature. The idea behind this feature is that if the Medlink reads your blood sugar level below a certain value, the pump will automatically suspend itself. Also, if you do not respond to the alert (I believe the second time), the pump will beep a lot and display a distress signal alerting people around you that you have diabetes and you need assistance. I like the idea behind all of this. As of now though, I'm not sure if the Medlink is accurate enough to place your full faith in this feature. Because of the inconsistency of the Medlink I believe this could be a bit dangerous, especially while sleeping. If your insulin is suspended when it shouldn't be in the middle of the night and you don't wake up to the alerts for whatever reason, you may find yourself with quite a high blood sugar in the morning.

Overall, I believe the new system to be beneficial. It seems to help keep my blood sugar levels more regulated and keeps me safer, I think that's important. But I think in part the system works well because I've learned what my body is telling me about my sugar levels without a CGM. The constant beeping by the 530G makes me ask myself more often about what is going on in my body, therefore I'm maintaining tighter control.

Music, Music, Music: I love this: Garrick Ohlsson playing Chopin Etude Op. 10, No. 1




No comments:

Post a Comment