Monday, April 21, 2014

Is that a pager?

"Is that a pager?"

-No, it's my insulin pump. 

"Oh, whoa. I'm sorry. I, uh, didn't...know"

-No worries, not a big deal. All though this clear tube running from the pump into my body does allow me to receive texts from 1993 directly to my brain.  

"What?"

-Sorry, it's just an insulin pump.


Today's technology has really advanced how diabetics manage their health. From the insulin pump with wireless receiver and meter, that doesn't require coding (I have no idea what coding means on a meter btw) to synthetic insulin which doesn't require refrigeration. Insulin pens instead of syringes and vials. National food labeling standards. Dietary dictionaries. Websites and blogs on the best ways to manage diabetes from diabetic's personal experiences. If I have to be diabetic, this isn't such a bad time. Hopefully soon technology will help me to not be a diabetic at all.  

It's amazing though, this technology is right under everyone's nose and most people don't notice it, or use it. It's also amazing that when they do notice it, they think of a pager, which no one outside of a hospital has used it in at least fifteen years, at least in NYC. I've visited many doctors in New York and most of them haven't seen the pump since med school. When I'm wearing my Dexcom continuous glucose monitoring system, I end up giving most doctors a lesson in diabetes technology today.  

It seems the general population of diabetics in my neighborhood are still using insulin pens with fast acting insulin like Novolog or Humalog and long acting insulins like Lantus. When someone is first diagnosed they have to learn to use syringes and vials for a period of six months before they are allowed to use the insulin pump. Personally, this made very little sense to me. First off, I don't want to carry around syringes, vials, or pens with me everywhere I go. Second, I don't really enjoying giving myself shots multiple times a day. Third, I want to use the most up to date methods for managing my condition. As soon as my six months were up, I was on the pump. It fits in my pocket and I can take my insulin with me where ever I go. Also, I don't have to take all of my insulin at once,which is a little scary at times. The pump allows for your total amount of insulin to be spread out over a period of hours allowing for better control. But I will say, whatever method works for someone to stay in a healthy range, I'm all for it. Diabetes is different for everyone. 

Flying can be difficult with a pump. The pump won't set off a metal detector, which is nice. But if you fly through an airport with a full body scanner and you don't take your pump off, you definitely will get pulled aside and scanned for explosive materials. It is annoying. If your doctor hasn't seen a pump since med school then the FAA has no clue what one is. 

So thanks technology, scientists, doctors, and inventors for continuously pushing forward with new ideas and devices to make everyone's lives better no matter their condition. Google currently has a new contact lense in the works that will also function as a constant glucometer. View thew ABC news article here: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/google-contact-lens-monitor-diabetes-holds-promise/story?id=21577373.  I look forward to all the questions I'll get from this new device that will only further me looking like a cyborg.  

Check out Tim Lefebvre destroying the bass: 


1 comment:

  1. interesting Paul. I didn't know you knew so much about that kind of stuff. Amazing how much technology has changed in the last 20 years. I remember when CD's where first coming out and now tape players aren't even included in the new car's stereos. They are all built with CD players and Bluetooth. Makes you wonder what life will be like in another 20 years.

    ReplyDelete